Monday, April 26

Planar 0.1



Planar is a 2D geometry library I'm working on for use by my Grease game engine. For maximum usefulness, however, I'm distributing planar as a separate library.

Since it doesn't have any external dependancies of its own that dictate otherwise, I took the liberty of making it compatible with both Python 2.6+ and 3.1+. Planar implements everything in both Python and C, so it was a good opportunity to finally jump into 3.x with both feet. I was pleased with how easily 2to3 worked to seamlessly take care of the necessary Python code mungification. I was also pleased with the C side of the world as well. Conceptually things haven't changed too much in 3.x, and a few #ifdefs here and there and some macros took care of the API differences there.

Once I got it initially working in Python 3, I found myself coding against it and fixing 2.x incompatibilities afterwards. I think that's a good sign.

The functionality of 0.1 is very basic, but it's fully documented and tested, so I'm satisfied that I'm ready to move on and implement more. Now that I've learned a bunch of the Python 3 ropes, I'm hopeful that I can make fast progress toward 0.2.

Head over the the planar docs site to learn more. Feedback is encouraged and appreciated.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the release. I read through the docs and had a quick play with the code, looks like a very classy job. Nice work! I'll incorporate Planar into a personal project later this week, just to stretch its legs a little. :-)

11:23 PM  
Blogger casey said...

Thanks! I started work on transforms last night, Hopefully I'll be able to get a 0.2 release together quickly. Let me know if you do anything fun with it 8^)

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home